Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share with your friends. The tool is suitable for young learners at the age of 8-11 years old. The images can stimulate students' awareness of the topic.
How to do it?
Step 1: Go to Wordle website and you will see as below
Step 2: click at 'create' button on top of the page and paste your own choice of text
Step 3: click submit and choose the style, layout, font and the color that you want your visual to be.
* If you need more information about Wordle, you can visit Russell Stannard's website
1. The tool is suitable to be used as a pre-reading activity. For example, teacher gives students a paper consist of wordle words in it. As we know that, the bigger word means it is a key ideas of text. So, students need to guess the main ideas of the text before they read it.
2. Besides, teacher can use it for speaking purposes. The tool encourages students to talk during the discussion. It creates a communicative task for learners by giving up their opinion of the upcoming text.
I like it because:
1. It is free and everyone can assess to the tool
2. It motivates students to think creatively during their own learning
3. The tool suitable for any text and languages
4. It creates communicative task for students
I don't like it because:
1. It is not suitable for colour blind. They might find it useless to use in class
2. Students need to have a better internet connection to use the tool
Wordle on Youtube!